I know us Chinese has a very rich culture that traces us alllllll the way back to our roots and history and that we have different names for different 'uncles' and 'aunties' in the family.
I am so not educated at this that I found myself hiding behind (near literal meanings) people I know I can rely on to call the right person with the right 'name'. Eg I'll have to call my dad's second sister 'ji go' which stands for 2nd auntie in Teochew.
And if I were to call wrongly, I'd embarass myself and my parents. Very 丢脸 one.
Every Chinese New Year Eve, during steamboat reunion, I dread the face-recognition-and-call-the-right-name duty. Everything else is superb - the food, the hongbaos, the “敏丽长大了啊!”
I'd give my dad a warning every year when we're a block away from my grandma's house, warning him that I'm totally ignorant (other than recognising my grandma and my 2nd auntie) regarding who and what to call.
My dad would normally explain who to call and all but it's not like I have a book with pictures of their faces before me so how would I know that I have to call whoever whatever and whoever's that's married to whoever and whoever's whatever's name... you get the picture.
Upon reaching the house, I'll act I'm-slow-and-therefore-I-did-not-see-you and screams silently for my dad's help to step in and 'scold' me; "why didn't call sie sie".
Hate to see why I'm struggling with this when the rest of my same-age relatives could manage it effortlessly. Because they're closer! duh.
I only see this side of the family once a year.
Now, I'm not being random with this entry.
I made a certain realisation that I also apply the same tactic to my other side of the family. I call the younger generation of the 'aunties' and 'uncles' (who are the daughters and sons of my grandaunties) simply 'auntie (name)' and 'uncle (name)'.
This seemed easier doesn't it?
No!
I can't remember all their names!
So this time, instead of my dad, I fall back on my cousin.
If I'm not sure what's this person's name, I'll use I'm-slow-and-therefore-I-did-not-see-you tactic again and wait till she calls them, then I'll follow suit.
I'm terribly lousy. *hungs my head in shame